Requirements & Fees
- Both applicants must be 18 years of age, unless emancipated by a court order (Virginia Code § 20-48).
- Both applicants must appear in person with a valid government-issued photo identification, including foreign identification legible in English.
- Fee for a marriage license is $30 (payable by cash, credit card, money order or personal check).
- Birth names of both parents.
- Radford City residency, proof of divorce, witnesses or blood tests are NOT required to obtain a marriage license from Radford City Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Applications must be completed and submitted at the Clerk's Office.
- Marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of issue and must be used for a marriage ceremony in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Marriage licenses can not be issued retroactively.
- Marriage licenses/certificates can not be issued to document a marriage that has taken place outside the United States; legal marriages that take place overseas are recognized as legal and documentation supplied by a foreign agency will serve as proof of marriage.
- Unused/expired marriage licenses must be returned back to the Clerk's Office (Virginia Code § 20-21).
- Radford City Clerk of the Circuit Court does not perform marriage ceremonies.
- Couples are responsible for making arrangements for the ceremony; the person performing the ceremony is permitted to charge fees (Virginia Code § 20-27).
- Court Appointed civil servants you may contact to perform marriage:
- Bill Brown: 540-951-3391
- Garland LInkous: 540-392-3301
- Emmy Lou Frazier: 540-980-4222
- Officiant will retain both copies of the marriage license and shall file it with the Clerk of the Circuit Court within 5 days following the ceremony (Virginia Code §32.1-267 (C).
Copies of the Marriage License/Certificate
- You may obtain a certified copy of your license in person. If you prefer you may obtain a copy by mail. Your request must include the names of both bride and groom, date of marriage and a self addressed stamped envelope to return your certified copy to you. The fee for a certified copy is $3.00 per copy.
- Copy of a license under a "triple seal" (required for an Apostille/Great Seal to be presented at foreign agencies) can be obtained at the issuing Clerk's Office; fee is $5 per copy.
- Virginia Department of Health-Division of Vital Records and DMV issue copies of marriage records for ceremonies that took place anywhere in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Authentications (issued as either a Great Seal or an Apostille) are done by the Secretary of the Commonwealth; contact Authentication Office directly for details.